Initiatives and Conference Fund
The Economic History Society maintains a fund to encourage otherwise unfunded workshops, special meetings and other interesting initiatives in economic and social history.
The Society is particularly interested in:
- Activities which might encourage wider participation in the Society
- Innovative research proposals
- Applications from researchers who are not full-time university academics
- Work which would lead to publication in the leading journals of our discipline
- One-day workshops which might provide sessions at the annual conference or generate articles for the Review
The Society will not make grants from the fund for more than £2,000 or £1,000 for a one-day workshop.
The Society will not normally award repeat funding if it is the sole funder.
Please note that any award made would not cover:
- Conference attendance costs of applicant
- Equipment costs
- Publications costs
- Subsistence costs (i.e. food and drink) of applicant
- Room hire costs (where the venue is the applicant’s home institution)
Any surplus amount made by the event will be deducted from the grant made by the Society. Whatever the sum granted, there must be a specific prominent acknowledgement of the Society’s support in any publicity, meeting materials or publications. Any events held with support from the fund should be advertised on the Society’s website and, as far as is practicable, be open equally to all interested economic and social historians. Successful applicants are encouraged to propose papers or sessions at the Society’s annual conference.
It is expected that successful applicants will be, or will become, members of the Economic History Society.
Questions concerning the objectives and criteria of the fund should be directed to the Honorary Secretary via the administrative secretary.
Closing dates for applications are on the first day of May and November. Applicants will usually be informed of the outcome of their application within 6-8 weeks of the deadline date for applications.
Applications should please be made online
Examples of successful applications to the Initiatives and Conference Fund, as well as reports on the events, can be found here.